Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Project 2: Visual Backpack

Our second project was to create a "visual backpack". We had to choose objects that represented our past, present and future and find ways to represent them in a symbolical way, creating a memory backpack that had at least five different objects.

I decided to divide my backpack in three sessions and make it with wood sticks to look like a mobile. The shape of my backpack is also a triangle, because it is a strong shape that is very balanced. The three sessions are Memory (past), Security (present) and Luck (future). Each of these three words are the strongest feelings I have for each of this time tenses.

The past was represented by a picture of friends (which represent the memories I have and that are used as support and strength in the present). The second object is a miniature of three of my favorite books. Those represent what I learnt and thoughts that made me grow and become who I am. They are related to memory because I can remember my personal growth of the past and apply it to my present, not forgetting who I am.

For the present I used three different objects: The first one is the drawing on cardboard of seashells, which represent the good moments both from the past and from the present, as the seashells remind me of a good day on the beach with friends. Remembering good moments give me safety of knowing I can always go back to my past and remember good moments I lived. The second object is a small bed, which represent the necessity of having my own space and privacy in my new home, NYC. This represents both my present and what I hope to get in the future. The bed is a representation of safety and comfort as well. The third object is a purple sweater which was given to me from a friend and represents comfort, and also the memory of him. This object is a representation on how important people remain in your life in the present and, hopefully, in the future.

To represent the future I chose a Hamsa, which is a simbol of luck and protection. I believe those are the most important things you need to carry for the future. I also drew a window that faces a brick wall. This is a literal representation of New York, where space is precious and most windows face another wall. The window is a metaphor: as most people look to the world outside and dream, my dream was to come to the place I am now. The brick wall might also represent something negative, which is also a representation of myself: it's a matter of perspective looking at what you have and seeing as a positive thing. I believe most people would thing that living on a room that faces a brick wall is something bad, but the brick wall is something that for me became positive, because it taught me to look at the good side of things and understand that every situation you are at has something for you to thank for. I am happy to be living near a brick wall.. because I am in New York City.


my process work


the books that represent personal growth

the picture, from the "past" and the seashells, from the "present"


the books and the bed and sweater (present representations)

the box that covered my backpack

when you close the mobile it loos like a cozy room!

the final work

how it looks from above

No comments:

Post a Comment